What Is The Role Of Cricket In Russia ?

Sportlife in Russia; sports they are going in for; history of sport in Russia; famous sportsmen; current events and sport news; places to take sports

Postby diana » 28 Jan 2009, 08:59

Hello Friends
Let Us Discuss ...
diana

Google

Re: What Is The Role Of Cricket In Russia ?

Postby Kliment » 04 Feb 2009, 10:19

Early beginnings - the British Victorians
Cricket has a long and interesting history in Russia and the game was first played in the country by British expats in St Petersburg as early as the 1870s.

In 1875 the British residents challenged the officers and crew of the Prince of Wales’ Royal Yacht Osbourne, during its visit to the city. By 1880 cricket was reasonably well established and soon afterwards an annual match was started between British diplomats and merchants and the British managers and foremen of the textile mills.

In 1896 there were four clubs in the city, Nevski, Neva and Neka and a fourth at Scuheuseelburg. The standard of cricket had been high since many of the players had been educated in British public schools and some such as A.L Gibson of Essex had played first-class cricket.

Demise - the communist years
The Russian revolution of 1917 put paid to the development of cricket in Russia as communism swept through the country and the sport was seen as distinctly “bourgeois” Western game and was not encouraged.

St Petersburg, which had been the spiritual home of the game in the country, was the epicentre of the revolution and as the British left the game quickly disappeared.

Cricket did not return to Russia until the 1960s when occasional attempts to play were made by ambassadorial staff from Test-playing countries in the capital Moscow, but these were occasional games at best.
Kliment

Postby brahmos » 16 Feb 2009, 02:51

Is it a played game are there tournaments or one day games played in cricket in Russia?
brahmos

Postby maree » 27 Feb 2009, 23:54

tournaments
maree
Site Crew

Postby Lekshmi » 04 Mar 2009, 09:47

Is it played as tournaments is there a cricket board or a national level cricket team in Russia?
Lekshmi

Postby Jazz singer » 05 Mar 2009, 00:45

Cricket in Russia? That's new to me !!!

Cricket is very much an acquired taste: even as a Brit, I found it as exciting as watching paint dry !!

But at least it isn't a violent sport!
Jazz singer

Postby Prita » 05 Mar 2009, 13:55

A new information for me too, Does the sports school teaches them? Where is the game taught? How good is the players ?
Prita

Postby john » 06 Mar 2009, 19:41

Oh there are a lot of cricket fans all over I don't have that much craze for this game My fav game is football.
john

Postby arunmoscow » 06 May 2009, 12:06

first offical cricket club launched in moscow...
guys u can vist the site for more information www.kriket.su

if anyone wants to play or join the club..most welcome
arunmoscow

Return to Sport