Tarutino-Borovsk: Part II

Tarutino-Borovsk: Part II

Postby Vanderer » 27 Mar 2009, 08:25

Beginning here: topic844.html

Earlier you could get into monastery through the gates in Georgievskaya tower.

Powerful fortress built by Fyodor the Horse, well-known "towns-builder" of that times, could stand any siege.
But in 1610 it was captured by forces of "Tushino Thief". They've broke in monastery through Treason Tower.
Voivode Michail Volkonsky's helpers, Yakov Zmeev and Afanasy Chelischev, has opened the gates to the enemy. Here it is, the Treason Tower.

The oldest building in the monastery is the frater with the church of the Nativity, an amazing bell tower decorated with tiles was built in XVII near to the frater, in place of ancient belfry.
Under the belfry the rebellious protopope Avvakum was inprisoned in chains.

The most important building in the monastery is - of course - the cathedral, that was built in place of first wooden church of 1444. 20 years later - when Pafnuty was alive - the white-stone cathedral was built.
But in 80th of XVI at Fyodor Ioannovich's dictation on its place the current canthedral with a side-altar of Saint Irene - heaven protectrix of Irina Godunova, the tsar Fyodor Ioannovich's wife - was built.
The cathedral just swelters the severity and greatness of that epoch.
The Irene's side-altar is seen on the left deep.

There's a restoration in the cathedral, so I visited only St. Pafnuty Borovsky side-altar and admired with ancient portals.

I liked very much a little hospital church of Ilya the Prophet. The church is tiny, and hospital chamber joins it. There's an arch in the wall so the patients can see and hear the office. As usually taking pictures is not allowed inside, and outside it looks in this way.

Rather the most modern church is dedicated to the name of sanctifier Mitrofan, the Patriarch of Konstantinopol.
The church is built in 1760. There's a reliquary of monastery priors (is being restored) in the basement, and in 1972, during the repair, under the church dome a dud bomb of WWII was found.

Well, now it's time to go to Borovsk town itself. Over the center of the town there's a Blagoveschensky cathedral, previously the church of XVII

The cathedral is very well situated - on the border of market place, and later bell-tower is very nuch to the point.
There are chimes on the bell-tower, that beat every quarter.

On the opposite site of the square there's a Spasskaya church, obviously not operational, but still very elegant.

I've left the car near shopping arcade and I go to the Protva river shore. there should be a chapel on the place of
martyr's death of Feodosiya Morozova, her sister princess Urusova and Maria Danilova.
They died by hunger and destitution in the ground prison. It happened in the end of 1675.
The chapel is quite modern, it was built by Old Believers, their position is still very strong in Borovsk.

On my way to the chapel I've ran against the Tsiolkovsky monument, a little bit caricature in my opinion.
It was built recently, at least I haven't seen it in 2003.

Such curved little street goes down the river. Pay your attention to the middle window on the end wall of the closest house.

It's one of the frescos of local artist Ovchinnikov. I liked them, at least they vivify a lot such blank walls.
Here for example:

Or family portrait of merchants Polezhaevy, reproduced on their family house's wall.

I decided to visit also Vysoko-Pokrovsky monastery, where Parfeny took the veil, and became Pafnuty.
In this monastery he started his monastery activity.
The oldest in Kaluga region church is on place of that monastery, it's from XVII century.
Unfortunately now it is being restorated and doesn't have any special look.

In return from the hill where the church stand you can see remarkable view of the town. Sorry for the picture quality, I took it with digital zoom.
The Blagoveschensky cathedral and the Old Believers' church view.

The Old Believers cathedral of 1904 view

It's starting to become dark, it's time to say goodbye to Borovsk.
On the exit I stop at the Borisoglebskaya church. The cathedral is without dome - there's a great restoration taking place.
So I just lool at bell-tower of the end of XVIII

But it worth returning to Borovsk..
Vanderer

Google

Tarutino-Borovks: Part II

Postby Yozhik » 27 Mar 2009, 08:47

Great pics, thanks! It looks like a nice place to visit.
Yozhik
Site Crew

Postby Mark » 27 Mar 2009, 12:18

Your first part was really amazing and the second one is also a master piece, thanks for sharing the pictures.
Mark

Postby Beholder » 27 Mar 2009, 14:53

yes, waiting more reports!
Beholder
Eye of Providence

Postby Willa » 27 Mar 2009, 17:03

Is it far from Moscow? And how to get there?
Willa
Secret

Return to Travel Reports